This vegan banana bread makes for a perfect breakfast on-the-go, after dinner treat, snack at work or better yet, as a healthier alternative to cake.
We have left it optional in this recipe for you to fill with whichever nuts, seeds and dried fruit you have handy. Sometimes I get overexcited and everything bar the kitchen sink goes into the mixture. As long as you stick to the base recipe, you’ll end up with a tasty, moist loaf – guilt and animal cruelty free.
Vegan Banana Bread
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tspground cinnamon, (let’s make it pretty as well as tasty!)
- 1 cup oat flour,or standard whole-wheat flour. If you are gluten free. Feel free to use gluten free alternative flour if you need.
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ½ cup dessicated or shredded coconut
- ¼ cup quality Peanut butter
- You choose: ½ cup mix-ins like chopped walnuts, pecans, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, raisins, chopped dried fruit…
1. Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
2. Make the “eggs” – add 2 TBSP of flaxseed to 3 TBSP of water. Mix until it becomes gelatinous and thick.
3. In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk. Add the “eggs” and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas, peanut butter and milk.
4. Add the baking soda, vanilla, coconut, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Finally, use a big spoon and stir in the flour and almond meal, until just combined. It may be lumpy, but that’s okay! If you’re adding any additional mix-ins, gently fold them in now.
5.Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Run the tip of a knife across the batter in swirls for a pretty pattern. I like to add sliced banana to the top also.
6.Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (the more add-ins you have, the longer it will take, maybe closer to 60 minutes). Don’t be afraid to leave it a little on the undercooked side if you prefer your loaves very moist.
7. Let the loaf cool in the tin, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
- ½ C peanut butter
- ¼ C melted coconut oil
- 1 TBSP honey
- ¼ C cocoa powder
- Melt the liquid ingredients in a pot on low heat and stir in cocoa powder and take off the heat. Spread on top of your vegan banana bread and enjoy!